Guinea fowl Baked in Orange Juice and Honey – the perfect dish for lunch or dinner with friends. Fast, easy and above all tasty.
- 2 guinea fowl (made without giblets), approx. 1-1.2 kg each
- salt and pepper
- 2 stars of anise (can be omitted if we do not like)
- 1/2 orange
- 200 ml of orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated root ginger
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of hot pepper powder
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Keep the guinea fowl under running water and cover with excess skin around the carcass opening and the back (be careful not to cut the skin on the breast).
- Season with salt and sprinkle with ground pepper. In the middle of each guinea fowl put on a piece of orange (with peel) and star anise.
- Place the guinea fowl (back up) into a large roasting pan.
- Pour orange juice mixed with ginger to the bottom of the roasting pan. Cover the top of guinea fowl with aluminum foil (shiny side down).
- Put into the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the glaze: melt the butter in a bowl, add honey, olive oil and soy sauce and hot pepper.
- Mix everything thoroughly.
- After 45 minutes, open the oven, remove the foil and coat the guinea fowl’s back with the prepared glaze.
- Bake another 45 minutes (no more covered). During this time, the guinea fowl glaze several times and pour sauce from the bottom of the roasting pan.
- At this stage, you have to make sure that the skin does not burn. This will be prevented by frequent pouring and – around half the time of baking – turning the guinea fowl to the other side.
- Baked guinea fowl must be removed from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before portioning and serving.
- The sauce remaining in the pan can be poured into a pot, reduced (stirring and boiling for 10 minutes on a larger fire) and served with the meat.
- Serve with Roman lettuce in a vinaigrette, sprinkled with finely chopped and fried bacon, as well as with pieces of fresh orange.